basree-rakijan

Friday, November 10, 2006

We can do it, I told my son

My son passed to me his final term exam results last night. He was sad, worried and tired. From his face, I can see he started to feel nervous. He just got back from a rugby tournament, I was told by my daughter earlier. I did not expect anything drastic from him. He is not a straight A student from beginning. But I want him to improve because he is taking is PMR examinations next year.

As I was staring at his papers it becomes clearer why he was not comfortable. He had failed his dad. His mom… F9 in mathematics and science! What can I say? All sort of things went through my mind. Why? How? And what now?

I confronted him. “What is wrong with you in school?”. He did not say a word. I started to loose my temper and raised my voice. “What should YOU do now?”. “You have less than a year to back up” My wife came to cool me down. I lectured my son for one hour.

When I wake up this morning I can’t remember much what I said to him. And I don’t know if what I said make sense to him.

“No rugby!” I screamed.

“No Play Station!”

“No TV!”

“And if you think the piano lesson is so taxing, you can quit as well.”

“Don’t blame him alone”, said my wife. “We are part of the problems, how much time did we spend with him?

“Why can’t you sit with him an hour a day to help him before?” add my wife as she walked away to the kitchen.

As a father I am more worried than him. At least that how I see it. Maybe we (my wife and I) will have to change. I have to spend more time him now. Can we pull this through? At lunch today I took my wife to MPH and bought more revision books for him.

“This school break I will sit down and teach him myself!”, I said to my wife. But can I? I left secondary school in 1977. I have forgotten everything by now….

I can do it, I said to myself as I put the books in my car. I have to relearn again myself. And spend less time socializing. Starting from now…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home